Monday, June 20, 2011

Hoisin Honey Marinade


A marinade isn't very exciting, I know.  And it's not even like this is one of those knock your socks off, get your hinny into the kitchen kind of marinade.  Even more sad, I'm losing a pretty cinnamon twist picture at the top of my blog to one full of bottles and a honey bear.  But, it is a new recipe and it is something I cooked, and ate and it was good.  And, well, hey look, I warned you, it's going to be a rough few weeks here. 

Due to the low excitement level, I'll keep this short and sweet.  The inspiration for this came from Cooking Light's March issue, with a segment devoted to the art of broiling.  I had even bought the hoisin sauce originally to make the broiled tenderloin recipe.  And like a dope, I opened the sauce immediately to taste just a bit of it, being a hoisin sauce newby, and then didn't touch the bottle till about a month ago.  There it was sitting in my fridge, unused but still opened and therefore not movable across state lines.  I really hate wasting food, so I wanted to try and use it.  Seeing as I had chicken in the freezer, I slightly modified the recipe so no new purchases would be needed to round out the ingredient list.  My marinade was born.

It's good.  The chicken sat in the marinade in the fridge for a full day and ended up very flavorful.  I cut up the breasts into strips, eating one breast right away and saving the others for cutting up on salads.  The chipotle peppers add some heat, not to mention pretty red flakes on the chicken.  It's a good, easy recipe.  Safe to say, at least the majority of my hoisin sauce will go this way, and that's not a bad way to go. 

Hoisin Honey Marinade
Inspired by Cooking Light's Broiled Tenderloin Steak

This was the perfect amount for two chicken breasts.  I mixed everything in my OXO measuring cup and poured into a plastic baggy.  Worked out fantastically.

2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2-1 tsp. chopped chipotle peppers in adobo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)