Monday, April 4, 2011

Broccoli with Garlic and Ginger

Today was one of those days at work where I had a lot of free mental ability to day dream about my supper all day long.  Yesterday, I spent some time walking around Trader Joe’s to see what new things I could find.  Among scoring a red wine named Cocobon (that promised strong hints of mocha) for only $6.99, I also got a bag of frozen pot stickers.  I remembered hearing that Trader Joe’s version was especially delicious; I just couldn’t remember who told me….  I can now agree though, they are especially delicious.




To go with my pot stickers, I decided to finally break into the Chinese cookbook I got for Christmas, Quick & Easy Chinese, by Nancie McDermott.  I went with an easy vegetable recipe for a side, aptly named Broccoli with garlic and ginger.  I had broccoli and it was already cut up and I cooked it in the same pan as the pot stickers.  (My life is much happier now that I’ve gotten into the habit of prepping/cutting up my fruits and veggies when I get home from shopping).

It started with some ginger and garlic sautéing in oil, to which you add the broccoli and cook it until it’s pretty and green. Soon after that, I threw in 2 tablespoons of chicken stock and had to back away for a second as smoke billowed.  If you do make this, make sure your oven vent is up and working.  The last step is to toss it all with a little bit of sesame oil.  It ends up vibrant and green and still a little bit crunchy.  And the ginger was fresh and almost lemony.  Is ginger lemony?  Anyways, it went perfect with the pot stickers and a little bit of korean bbq sauce I got at the Asian supermarket down the street.  The whole dinner took 20 minutes.  And it was good.  Even with all the anticipation that had built up over the work day. 

Here's the recipe, slightly different than the print (from quick & easy chinese, by Nancie McDermott):


BROCCOLI with garlic and ginger
Adapted from Quick & Easy Chinese, by Nancie McDermott

2 tbsp. canola oil
1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. salt (which I just realized I forgot!  opps...)
2 medium heads of broccoli
2 tbsp. chicken broth (says you could also use water)
Small drizzle of sesame oil

Heat wok or large deep skillet over high heat.  Add oil and swirl to coat pan.

Add ginger, garlic and salt (if you haven't forgotten it yet).  Saute for 30 seconds and then add broccoli.  Toss, and keep tossing, until broccoli is vivid and green, just starting to wilt.  (~1 min)

Add water/broth, pouring in around sides of the pan.  Cook 2-3 minutes more, tossing every now and them until broccoli is "brilliant green and tender but still pleasingly crisp".

Add sesame oil, toss well and then serve hot/warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)