Sunday, September 11, 2011

Shortbread Cookies


On Sunday afternoons after Ben leaves, I usually try my best to be productive.  I try to workout, clean the mess that has taken over my kitchen, wash laundry, fold laundry, blog, maybe vacuum and just try my best to prepare for the upcoming week.  But today, I got caught up, drawn to the various September 11th tributes on the TV.  It's been 10 years and I felt that somehow I needed to make sure that I properly remembered the date. 

I know that my last entry was sentimental and corny and I apologize for this one seems to be heading in the same direction.  But it doesn't seem right to not acknowledge the day and go right to shortbread cookies.  I could have at least had something patriotic, right?  The truth of the matter is, I don't really know what to say.  I have been rolling it around in my head all afternoon and all that comes out is "wow, ten years".  So I guess I'll just leave it at that, and encourage everyone to hug those they love and know you aren't alone if you find yourself with a few tears rolling down your cheek for those who had to live through, are still living through, the tragedy ten years ago. 


There is no segway into shortbread cookies from there.  So, I'll dive in and be short and sweet.  My first, most eagerly awaited, Bon Appetit magazine finally arrived about a week ago.  My first venture into the cooking magazine world was with Cooking Light, and to be completely truthful, I've been a little disappointed.  There's been a few good finds, but in general, It's just not doing it for me.  Sometimes you need butter, you know?  And my first venture into my first Bon Appetit magazine couldn't prove that point any better.

These cookies are buttery, deliciousness.  And, if you like, you can be like me and try to convince yourself that they are also healthy because they are made with only whole wheat flour.  Well, that and ten and a half tablespoons of butter.  Yes, that is a lot of butter for 16 cookies, but they are fantastically worth it.  My only wish in this butter drenched dream was that I hadn't used the strawberry preserves in my fridge as the filling, but rather something a little more tart to cut through the lovely, buttery cookie.  I could keep going, but there are only so many times one can use the word butter as a descriptor.  Butter just doesn't really have enough synonyms, you know? 

This recipe is already cut and pasted into the big green cookbook, no questions asked, and with any luck will make its reapparence in my kitchen soon.  They are very easy to make and I promise you, as delicious and buttery as I am claiming. 

Shortbread Cookies
From my first (the September 2011 edition) Bon Appetit!

2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
10 1/2 Tbsp. salted butter, room temp
1 large egg, room temp
1 large egg yolk, room temp
3 Tbsp. (about) raspberry (or other fruit) jam

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, sugar and baking powder in large mixing butter.  Cut butter into small pieces and mix into flour mixture with hands.  Cut butter in until to mixture forms a course meal texture.  In smaller bowl, whisk together whole egg and yolk until well combined.  Pour egg mixture into flour and butter mixture and stir until just incorporated.  Don't overmix.

To form cookies, take about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball.  Place onto prepared baking sheet.  In center of ball, make an indentation for the jam (wider is better than deeper).  Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. 

Bake cookies about 12-15 minutes, until golden, switching trays around once in the middle of baking.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool. 

Makes about 16 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)