Monday, February 27, 2012

Sweet Potato Chili Mac



I think that it's safe to say that  so far, me, sweet potatoes and Mark Bittman have gotten along fabulously.  It was a crazy turn of events, but now it seems like we were meant to be.  Me, sweet potatoes and Mark Bittman, happily ever after. 


When I first flipped through the March Issue of CL and saw that once more Mark was shouting the joys of sweet potatoes to the masses, this time under the guise of macaroni and cheese, I was pretty sure I was moments away from once again falling  under the spell that is me, sweet potatoes and Mark Bittman.  I wasted no time and when I returned to Rockford Sunday evening.  I worked out, went to the grocery store and then made Sweet Potato Chili Mac.

Sunday night, I liked it.  There was chorizo and delicious roasted sweet potatoes, some cheese, lovely noddles.  Monday at work, leftovers were leftovers and I munched through without too much of a problem.  But by noon on Tuesday, I was struggling to lift each bite to my mouth.  The magic, the me, sweet potatoes and Mark Bittman magic, was gone.  It had become blah.
 
I think this one is solely on me.  This recipe is good.  The sweet potatoes get roasted whole; as I was peeling them piece after brown roasted delicious piece continued to end up in my mouth.  They were caramelized and fantastic.  There are bits of browned, crunchy chorizo speckled on top.  There are smoky chipotle peppers, distinct and spicy.  And cheese!  There is yummy, melty, Monterrey Jack cheese.  These are all wonderful things that end up making a skillet full of good orange and noodle mush.  However, I’m a little afraid that, horror of horrors, I maybe just might have OD’d on the sweet potatoes.  It’s happened before about a year ago, with me, sweet potatoes and a Mark Bittman roasted sweet potato salad recipe.  I’ve hit my sweet potato quota for the season and it’s time to tuck them away till I start craving for some crispy sweet potato fries in a few months.  Which inevitably I will, and when I do, I already have a recipe lined up, locked, loaded and ready to go!

Sweet Potato Chili Mac

2 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
1 c. 1% milk
2 Tbsp. chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
3 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese
8 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
1 Tbsp. olive oil
6 oz. Mexican chorizo (one large link)

Toppings:
chopped green onion
fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 425°.  Line rimmed baking sheet with foil.  Prick sweet potatoes in several places and place on prepared sheet.  Roast in oven for 50-60 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.  Let cool until cool enough to handle with hands.  Peel potatoes and mash in large bowl.  Stir in milk, chipotle peppers, salt, pepper and shredded cheese.  Mix well as the cheese melts.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on package.  Once cooked, add pasta to sweet potato mix.

Preheat broiler.  Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat.  Add oil to pan and heat.  Add chorizo and brown, masking to crumble, about 5 minutes.  Remove from pan and wipe pan lightly with a paper towel.  Pour in sweet potato and noodle mixture, spreading evenly.  Sprinkle top with chorizo.  Broil 2-4 minutes or until top is crisp and browned.  Serve with chopped green onions and cilantro.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)