Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Peach Gorgonzola Pizza


I am a big fan of having a well stocked freezer.  This includes frozen berries, to make this cake whenever I want it (and that is often), and enough leftover split pea soup for a 2 people dinner.  One day it will contains cups and cups of homemade chicken stock and this sauce.  One good days, there are balls of homemade pizza dough, although those disappear fast.  Right now there is a rack of ribs that I can’t wait to do up right.  And there was some leftover shredded rotisserie chicken (from this!) that ended up in my tummy using this pizza as a vehicle.  It was a very yummy journey.


I know I’ve been overly enthusiastic about my belief that pizzas don’t need recipes, yet I still now have two cut out and in my big green cookbook.  The first I’ll claim as pure inspiration.  This one I’ll claim as these flavors belong together.  Fresh, sharp, sweet, creamy.  They’d be great in between bread as a sandwich, thrown together with some bread cubes in a make-shift panzanella.  And uber-delicious as they are here, on top of my favorite wheat pizza dough: blistery, fresh and delicious.

Peach Gorgonzola Pizza
Adapted from Cooking Light May 2011

This is something yummy, something simple.  This is something great, especially when you have half the ingredients sitting in your freezer.

1 pizza crust (I suggest this)
Cornmeal, for dusting
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c. (heaping) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 c. shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 c. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 medium peach, thinly sliced
1/4-1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  On pizza stone or baking sheet dusted in cornmeal, roll out pizza dough to desired thickness.

Brush olive oil all over crust.  Sprinkle with half of the shredded mozzarella cheese.  Evenly spread out chicken, peaches and onions.  Topped with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese and remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.  Bake in 400 degree oven 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and blistery and crust is browned.

Meanwhile, in small sauce pan over medium heat, reduce vinegar util about half is gone and it is a syrup-like consistency, 4-5 minutes.  Use to drizzle over pizza before serving.  **CAREFUL!**  This goes from pretty syrupy glaze to sticky burnt mess quick.  Watch it like a hawk.  This is experience talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)