Friday, October 14, 2011

Balsamic Pepper Pork


There's not much of a story behind this recipe here.  Last weekend, after a long Saturday of hiking through southern Indiana among beautifully colored leaves and a tiny bubbling creek, I made Ben this recipe.  It was taken from my most recent issue of Cooking Light, which had a section devoted to pork tenderloin which I will be revisiting soon.  It was only a little bit of a pain and, spoiler alert, it was only ok.  


I'd be more excited to talk about the hike Ben and I went on through and all around McCormick's Creek.  It was beautiful as the leaves were starting to change, the creek was tiny and running and much more warm than I ever would have expected.  There were flowers and I collected a little bouquet of orange, yellow and red leaves to bring home.  My pictures from the hike are much, much prettier than my pictures from dinner afterwards.  So, I'll spare you and give you pretty pictures of fall instead.  Happy October!  


By the way, the pork tenderloin was ok.  I think I would have enjoyed it more without the kalamata olives.  Ben liked it more than I did, but he really loves roasted red peppers.  But even he gave it just mostly, yeah, it was good.  If you like balsamic, roasted red peppers and kalamata olives, give it a go.  Otherwise, I'll have to work on some of those other pork tenderloin recipes for you!  Because, I don't know about you, but I really do like pork tenderloin.  I promise, we should be seeing it again soon.

Balsamic Pepper Pork
Adapted from October's Cooking Light

1 c. roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, divided
1 lb. pork tenderloin
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. flour
1/3 c. kalamata olives (optional)

Mix roasted red peppers and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.  Set aside.

Butterfly pork tenderloin so that it opens like a book.  Cover with strong piece of plastic and pound until pork is 1/2 inch thick all around.  Pour pepper mixture over pork and spread evenly, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge.  Starting at the long side, roll pork tenderloin.  Secure roll with toothpicks.  (Remember to count and remember how many you used!)  Season outside of pork with salt. 

In large dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.  Add pork and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes.  Once browned, add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until a meat thermometer stuck in the center reads 145 deg.  Remove pork from pan and let rest for 5 minutes.  While resting, combine flour and remaining tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, whisking well.  Add flour mixture and olives, if you want, to pan.  Reduce sauce to about half, around 15 to 20 minutes.  Slice pork into 1 inch rounds and serve with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)