Friday, May 6, 2011

Chipotle Scallion Butter


For any one who was observant enough yesterday to notice the pretty corn flecked with red along side the fish, and not just the horrible photography, thank you.  Now if only I didn't have to disappoint you...

I did try a new recipe yesterday, but decided to save writing about it till today.  One day of cooking, two whole posts!  That, and for as excited as I was for this butter, it kinda feel flat for me.  But I had a very fun time taking pictures of my pretty scallions!  And hey, I'm doing the best I can with my 5 year old Sony Cyber-Shot.

Scallions are one of my favorite ingredients.  They are so crisp and light and give such a crunch.  They are great raw and great cooked and great grilled.  They go from white to green and they don't make you cry when you chop them up.  Seriously, what's not to love?  

Oh yeah, the butter.  It wasn't particularly bad.  It just wasn't particularly great.  It wasn't even that particularly hard to make, I just still don't know if it's worth the extra effort for boiled corn.  

It could have used more chipotle, of course.  And although I minced and minced, the scallions could have used a little bit more.  It was hard to keep the yummy bits on the corn itself.   

I haven't given up on it quite yet.  Mostly because there's still a little glass jar full of whipped up butter in my fridge.  But also because I am holding out hope that this will taste DELICIOUS on a baked potato.  

Chipotle Scallion Butter  
adapted from epicurious.com

3/4 stick unsalted butter, softened         
1/4 cup minced scallions (2 to 3) 
1 tablespoon minced seeded canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest

Whip together butter, scallions, chipotles, zest, and two large pinches of salt in a small bowl.  Top on corn, potato, whatever and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)