Saturday, May 14, 2011

Island Cookies


I feel as if I should preface this post with this fact: I'm cheap.

I got it in my head to make white chocolate macadamia nut cookies with coconut in them.  The idea came from a cookie I ate at work from the leftover goodies table.  I thought it was just a plain, white chocolate macadamia nut cookie.  I almost didn't eat it because I don't even like white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, but I was hungry.  And then, out of nowhere, there was coconut!  I was immediately mesmerized and jones-ing  to make my own.  It would be perfect to bring to Ben this weekend.  I was going for it.

Now back to the "I'm cheap" factor.  Did you know that that little tin of macadamia nuts on your grocer's shelf cost NINE dollars?  I just wasn't ready to spend $10 plus for a batch of cookies.  Especially one's with white chocolate.  You know, it doesn't even have any cacao in it?  And it calls itself chocolate...

So, there I am I'm standing in the nut aisle at the store, and I devise a new plan.  Keeping the white chocolate, because I already bought those earlier, and the coconut, cause that was the whole inspiration.  I could keep the island tropic thing going, sans macadamia nuts.  I had lime zest left over and frozen in my freezer.  I had a lime I could juice.  I just needed a little bit of crunch.  Hm, turbinado sugar sprinkle over top.  Then bake.  Booyah.

I toasted the coconut last night for a few minutes in a 350 degree oven.  I mostly follow the ever trusted Nestle Tollhouse.  I took out half of the vanilla and added the juice of one tart lime.  I discovered that white chocolate chips photograph beautiful, even when the day is overcast outside. 


Coming out of the oven, they were pretty.  There were so many chips!  Warm, gooey.  And they tasted, well, they tasted like white chocolate chip cookies sans macadamia nuts.  With hints of the island.  I love that you can see the lime zest and it surprised me that the coconut wasn't more present.  But a good surprise.  The turbinado sugar on top doesn't really add anything, doesn't really take anything away.  It's a judgement call.  I would definitely make again, just maybe use double the lime.  You know, a little more lime in the coconut... and eat it all up...

Island Cookies
Adapted from Nestle Tollhouse's Recipe

1 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Juice of 1 lime
Zest of 1 lime
1 large egg
2 c. White Chocolate Chips (could likely get away with less)
1 c. flaked coconut, toasted
turbinado sugar, for garnish
(And if you aren't cheap like me!)
3/4 c. chopped macadamia nuts

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.

Cream butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and lime in large mixing bowl.  Beat until creamy, then beat in egg and zest.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Add white chips and coconut (and nuts)

Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheet.  Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and brush excess sugar from pan.  Bake for 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then move to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)