Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pecan Chicken


 Well, the good news is, I am getting much better at this pan-frying thing.  The bad news is, I don’t think I’m using yummy enough recipes.  I love watching the oil bubble up around the chicken when I first put it in the cast iron.  I love the sizzle that carries on even after I’ve put it in the oven to finish up.  I love that my coating stuck this time around.

The end result was just nothing to love though.  It was good.  But it’s also something I wouldn’t make again, there was just nothing to bring you back.  I applied some lessons learned from the oatmeal chicken: less flour and more seasoning (cumin and cayenne this time) in the coating.  Less time face down in the medium hot cast iron pan.  Only 6 minutes in a 425 degree oven and it came out more juicy. 

I am going to be sad to see the pretty island cookie picture go from the top of my blog.  I guess it can’t be the first picture forever.  Instead, I tried my best to get the bubbling oil around the edges of my chicken.  Does the chicken frying all happy like in my pretty cast iron remind you of schnitzel too?  Because that is all I thought while cooking it.  Too bad it wasn’t schnitzel.  I could go for some schnitzel right now…

Pecan Chicken. 
adapted from Cooking Light Jan./Feb. 2011 edition

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 c. whole buttermilk
1 egg
Salt and Pepper, to season
¾ c. flour
¾ c. finely ground pecans
Additional spices as wanted (cayenne and cumin is a good start).

Combine buttermilk, egg and chicken breasts in Ziploc bag.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

Preheat oven to 425.  Heat large oven-proof skillet over medium to medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of canola oil.  Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.  Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. 

Combine flour, ground pecans and any additional spice in shallow.  Dredge chicken in mixture, shake off excess.  Add chicken to hot pan and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned.  Turn chicken over and place skillet in oven.  Bake at 425 for 6-8 minutes or until done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)