Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cinnamon Twists


Don't you just love it when your coworker comes to you on Monday at 2 in the afternoon and is nice enough to not only tell you that there is a potluck tomorrow, but also give you a list of what everyone is bringing so as to make sure you don't double up.  This is especially frustrating when you are on a strict, albeit self-imposed, no grocery shopping until half of that crap left in my fridge is gone.  Ah, the joys of moving in 16 DAYS!  It's going to be an interesting few weeks to say the least.  I feel I should apologize in advance...

 So, bound by my own stringent rule making, I had limited options.  Frozen chicken breasts, puff pastry and sweet potatoes fries are the basic contents of my freezer.  I remembered seeing "Lemon Sugar Puff Pastry Twists" (quite the name, I know) awhile ago online.  The absolutely gorgeous pictures, which easily put mine to shame, had convinced me that was to be the end results of my left over puff pastry dough.  I just didn't realize the end would come so soon!  While I did have a lemon left over in the bottom of my fridge, all of its zest was stolen for the zucchini bread.  I then remembered, that it was supposed to be a healthy potluck.  And lucky for me, I will be convinced until the day I die that cinnamon is healthy for you and me and everyone else.  And that is how we got here.


They were quick and easy, and maybe not necessarily healthy, but they were still all easily demolished at the potluck, with coworkers coming up to me later asking if there were any leftover.  A surprise hit I would say.  And yay for using only what's in the freezer, fridge and pantry!




Cinnamon Twists
Inspired by Cookin Canuck

1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 c. Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  In wide, shallow dish mix cinnamon and sugar well.

Lay out puff pastry sheet on well floured surface.  Roll out puff pastry dough until it's about an inch longer in each direction.  Using a sharp small knife, or pizza cutter, cut the sheet in half horizontally.  Next, cut vertical strips about 1 inch wide, or about 12 per sheet.

Brush both sides of each strip with butter.  Dredge both sides in cinnamon sugar mixture.  Twist sheets as you lay them on the baking sheet.  Cook 8-10 minutes, until strips are puffed and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)