Thursday, June 30, 2011

Poached Eggs


The way I see it, poaching eggs is like a food blogger's rite of passage.  Egg poaching attempts, disasters, failures and glorious triumphs alike are all well documented and photographed everywhere in the cookery blogosphere.  It only seemed like the proper farewell to my small Greenville apartment kitchen to do the same with my first crack at it.  Yes, pun intended.  And not to brag or anything, but I did it on the first try.  Correction, I rocked it on the first try. 

I've already previously admitted to my blog crush on Deb over there at the smitten kitchen, so when I ran across her beautiful step-by-step picture instructions on how to conquer the poached egg, it was a no brainer.  My first poached egg attempt would be a la smitten kitchen. 

I was fully prepared for my first one, two, three tries to be miserable.  I had set aside half a dozen eggs alone for the challenge.  I refused to be afraid, but at the same time was also already forming my post of epic failure in my head.  What I wasn't prepared for was for it to be... easy? 

What I did then  immediately fear was hatred from all the bloggers out there who have tried and tried to defeat their fear of poached eggs, only to end up with pots full of murky water and egg scraps.  Good thing I am not above begging--Please don't hate me.  I almost always burn the popcorn.  And it wasn't long ago that a small fire erupted under my broiler.  My cooking karma was bound to give me a softball to knock out of the park one of these days.

In the end, the moral of the story is, fear not.  Not everyone is destined to be haunted by botched egg poaching.  Just head on over to the smitten kitchen, read the instructions all the way through at least five times and get a pot of almost-but-not-quite simmering water on the stove.  Together, we can do it.  We can vanquish once and for all this fear of poached eggs!  And, yes, it was delicious, as all poached eggs are.

 I'm moving!  So unfortunately I will be sans kitchen for a few days.  But rest assured, those are new cooking magazines in my carry on bag and my apartment in Indiana has more than one usable counter.  I will soon make a grand return.  So, I leave you to wait, patiently of course, with one last question.  Has anyone out there tried a recipe yet?  Cause I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)