Friday, June 24, 2011

Mustard Vinaigrette


I know, another bottle picture as the opening photo?   Not exciting.  And I know, a vinaigrette recipe?  Not exciting once again.  But my dinners have not been exciting this week.  In fact, dinner has largely been salads with chopped chicken on top and a side of sweet potato fries.  Oh CostCo, will I ever learn...

I've been making my own vinaigrettes for my salads, because one, I'm avoiding buying anything new at all costs and two, it's incredibly easy.  You take an oil, an acid and whatever seasonings you want and swoosh it all around until its all emulsified and there you go.  You can use any oil, but I usually stick with olive oil.  You can use any acid, although it being a vinaigrette, vinegar is the usual suspect.  And when you read an article about the health benefits of apple cider vinegar, you use that because, well it's homeopathic awesomeness.  And if you're me, you have a bottle in the pantry leftover from some delicious German Potato Salad.  Plus, there's something amazing about the combination of mustard and apple cider vinegar.  And you may just lick your plate after dinner.  Again, if you're me...

And if you were wondering, yes, I do like the word emulsify.  I'm a chemical engineer.  I once had a professor tell me I would understand her entire class if I could just understand the mystery of salad dressing.  I tutored that class for 3 years afterwards.  I so get the mystery of salad dressing.

Mustard Vinaigrette

I'm just giving you ratios here, so you can make as big or small a batch as you want.  It will keep for a few days in the fridge.  Just remember to shake the bejesus out of it to emulsify it again!

1 part dijon mustard (or yummy hot and sweet mustard from Trader Joes)
1 part apple cider vinegar
2 parts good olive oil
Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Combine in a jar with lid.  Give a good shake to emulsify.  Keep any extra refridgerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)