Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bacon-Cheddar Corn Muffins


I'm so sorry to already be moving the delicious raspberry buttermilk cake from the top of the page.  It's my favorite recipe on this site.  Well, at least right now it is.  I do remember being quite in love with a certain cornbread with cranberries.  But, as I have been told, all good things must come to an end.  Well, sorta.  There is a buttermilk cake in my oven and the smell is making me quite happy. 


In reality, I really shouldn't be that bummed out.  These muffins are very good in their own right.  They hit all of those things that they promise.  There was a cheesiness, and a little bit of heat from the jalapeno.  There was corn, although in my opinion, if I was craving some cornbread this wouldn't quite do the trick.  And the bacon, well when isn't bacon a delicious addition to anything?  Did you know they make bacon vodka now.  Bacon vodka!  Sigh...  I digress.

Anyways, these will do you proud.  They might not ignite any undying flames of love within your very being, but they are satisfying.  And I imagine even more so when paired with a chili or tomato soup.  And they freeze and reheat well, as I just discovered. 

Use the good cheese and bacon, cause you're going to taste it.  Also, hey look!  You can use the leftover buttermilk you have from making my favorite cake, which I am sure you all have by now.  See, I am looking out for you.

Bacon-Cheddar Corn Muffins
Adapted from May 2011's Cooking Light

1 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. yellow cornmeal
1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
4 thick cut bacon slices, cooked, drained and crumbled
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 375.  Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. 

Combine flour, cornmeal, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cumin and salt in large mixing bowl.  Whisk together.  Whisk in bacon and jalapeno.  Make well in center of dry mixture.

Combine buttermilk, oil and egg in a small bowl.  Mix well.  Dump mixture into well in dry mixture.  Stir until just moist, do not over mix.

Pour batter evenly into 12 muffin tins.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Cool 5 minutes, in pan on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)