Monday, July 11, 2011

Jalapeno Black Bean Hummus


Today was day number four at my new job.  Today was also day number four without air conditioning at my new job.  When you are sitting on a shop floor of a giant metal roofed building with furnances, drills and grit blasters going nonstop and there is no AC, you get a little sweaty.  When the actual temperature outside is 94 with a heat index of 110,  you're lucky if you don't get pit stains.  And after a day of this, there was no way that the fried eggs I imagined having for dinner this morning were going to happen.  I needed something lighter, cooler.  So after work, my pit-stained self got the fixings for a spicy black bean hummus.

I came home and immediately ditched the jeans and work polo for cooler attire.  After having a nice, cold glass of water, I went after the hummus.  It came together so fast, the hardest part was unpacking my food processor.  And can I just tell you how amazingly this hit the spot?  The cool cucumber was crunchy and refreshing and the hummus was smooth and so barely spicy.  And then I had it on some baby carrots and I got even more excited.  This stuff is good.  This stuff is going in my pretty, big green cookbook, just as soon as I find a printer...

For those of you in similar sticky, hot situations, this is the way to cool off and  have a nice light (and healthy!) dinner.  And if any of you have boxes and boxes to unpack in this heat like some lazy bloggers do... it just might give you the strength to knock those out.  Well, at least knock out a few, it's not a miracle food after all.

Jalapeno Black Bean Hummus

This was actually the most recent addition to my Recipes to Try list, and therefore also wins the title of shortest time spent on my kitchen to make list.  And it came together, sans dipping vegetables, for just under $2.  It's that perfect summer dinner that can't be beat. 

1 15-oz can black beans, drained and liquid reserved
2 cloves garlic
1/2 jalapeno (could take some more heat, if you wanted)
1 Tbsp. lime juice

Rough chop garlic cloves and jalapeno and put in food processor.  Pulse until finely chopped.  Add black beans, 2 Tbsp. reserved liquid and lime juice.  Process until smooth.  If mixture is too thick, add reserved liquid a little at a time until desired texture is achieved. 
Chill 30 minutes before serving.  Or if you are like me, eat immediately with chopped veggies straight from the food processor. 

2 comments:

  1. Love Hummus! Plan to try this recipe this weekend. I love how you have beautifully displayed food. Talented in many ways!

    Love Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Auntie Laurie!! I'm may need to steal some of your recipes in the near future!

    ReplyDelete

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)