Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry



I feel as though I haven't been in my new apartment as long as I have.  True, I have only been here a week and two days, but it seems like even less time.  Most likely cause my extra room is still full of half unpacked things and the majority of my clothes are still folded up in suitcases.  But this is my third new recipe that I've cooked in my new and improved kitchen and I'm already being a better blogger than I ever was back in South Carolina.  Well, at least in respect to the whole trying new recipes idea.  So all of that was to say that basically, I'm pretty impressed that even in the midst of starting a new job, moving to a new town and unpacking an apartment, I'm doing quite a good job at tackling new recipes too.  If I may toot my own horn here.

 
Toot.

Anyways, here it is, new recipe number three.  This has been post-it-noted in my March edition of Cooking Light since I've had it (unfortunately, my magazines are very post-it-noted and not very cut apart yet.  I am doing what I can).  It rung up quite the grocery bill, although that was due to the dire state of my pantry, not any particularly expensive ingredients.  But it was easy to make and not very stressful.  In fact, cooking in a kitchen with so many usable counters is, dear I say it, relaxing.  Fun.  I'm not longer cutting on my dining room table!  But that is where most of the pictures take place, because it is in front of the only window in the kitchen. 


Dinner was good and leftovers heated up well for lunch today.  It could have used more Sriracha and it had a surprisingly tasty hint of sweet.  But it was just another one of those recipes that I likely wouldn't make again, especially with the growing pile of post-it-noted magazine pages.  A very yummy, albeit, one shot meal. 

Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry
Adapted from March 2011's Cooking Light

2 Tbsp. Cooking Sherry, divided
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce, divided
1 tsp. sugar
1 lb. boneless sirloin steak
1/2 c. lower-sodium beef broth
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 tsp. Sriracha
1 Tbsp. canola oil
3 cloves minced garlic
4 c. broccoli florets
1/4 cwater .
1/3 c. green onions, sliced

Slice steak into thin slices, diagonally against the grain.  Combine with 1 tbsp. sherry, 1 tbsp. soy sauce and sugar.  Mix together well.  Let sit while preparing broth mixture.

For broth mixture, combine remaining 1 tbsp. sherry, 1 tbsp. soy sauce, beef broth, cornstarch, hoisin sauce and Sriracha.  Mix well with a fork until all cornstarch is mixed in and mixture is smooth, set aside. 

Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.  Add beef.  Sauté until browned, about 3 minutes and remove from pan.  Add garlic to hot pan and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.  Add broccoil and water and sauté about 2 minutes.  Add onions and continue cooking until vegetables are about down, another minute or two.  Return beef to pan and add broth mixture.  Cook for 2 minutes, or until beef is heated through and sauce has thickened.  Sauce will continue to thicken slightly once pan has been removed from the heat.  Serve over rice with extra sauce drizzled over top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)