Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Garlicky Baked Fries


I kind of love having things to blog about during the week without the stress of trying to orchestrate exciting dinners, take pictures before the sun disappears, be witty and blog and still eat at a decent hour.  All this while trying to maintain an early than the average bear bedtime.  I know cooking dinner isn't supposed to be stressful, but, you know, the opposite.  But unfortunately, these last few weeks, it has been, for whatever reason.  And while I'm trying to get out of my slump, there can't be too much harm in enjoying the non-cooking for one more day, right?

Or, you know, there's always cheating.  Writing bits and pieces of entries whenever I am feeling particularly articulate and clever.  Cooking a new dinner tonight, but not even bothering to think about when I will actually blog about it, although I did smartly take pictures.  Trying to see this more as an enjoyment of my post-work free time rather than a chore.

Isn't it crazy how all of a sudden things become a chore, simply because you have to do them?  I think that's what happened with this here, already, only 40 some-odd posts in.  But now that I actually have two, count it 1-2!, recipes stored up in my backlog, it's as if the weight of the blogosphere has been lifted from my shoulders.  Ok, maybe I exaggerate just a teensy bit, but maybe you also kinda know how I feel too.  When you don't have to cook a new meal each night, suddenly you can't think of wanting to do anything more. 

Anywho, I greatly digress.  But be proud of me.  I only told you about these fries on Sunday and I am already talking about them (sort of...) on Tuesday night!  The fries were good, but as my fair warning, you must love garlic to like these fries.  If you don't mind garlic odors seeping from your pores all night and into the next morning, as Ben so kindly pointed out to me on Saturday morning, you may need to steer clear.  Or at least warn your significant other.  But I liked them.  They hit that spot in your stomach that only a warm potato, be it mashed, fried or baked, can hit.  Being oven fries, they did lack the crispiness that their deep fried cousins sport, but you'll only miss it a little.  And they truly were wonderfully garlicky, a bit spiced from the added cayenne and the leftovers made a wonderful hash brown sort of deal when fried up for Sunday morning breakfast.  All in all, not a bad deal.  But don't say I didn't warn you if your dearest tries his best to leave in the morning and not to kiss you good bye!

Garlicky Baked Fries
Inspired by Bon Appetit August 2011's San Francisco Garlic Fries

2-3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
3 1/2 Tbsp. Canola Oil, divided
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper (depending on your heat level)
4 cloves garlic, minced well

Preheat oven to 450°. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet or casserole dish with nonstick spray.

Slice Potatoes into fry length, being consistant with size.  A mandolin will help with this, just, as always, be careful around the sharp blade.  Toss potato slices with 2 and 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl and season with salt and cayenne. Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet/dish.

 
Roast potatoes, turning occasionally, for 30 minutes, until fork tendered and brown. Set oven to broil.  Broil potatoes for 2-3 minutes, turn potatoes than broil a few minutes more.  Combine remaining tablespoon of oil and garlic in large bowl.  Add hot fries and toss to coat.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)