Wednesday, August 17, 2011

No Bake Cookies

And now we return to our regular scheduled blogging... well, sort of. 

Here again is a wonderful example of one of my birdwalks as well as another of mom's recipes and childhood favorites.  I think it is more than fair to say that quite a few recipes in my big green cookbook, both now and I'm sure more in the future, are really stolen from my mother's assortment of recipe cards, cookbooks and own pile of random clippings, contained in a large danish butter cookies tin.  I have lots of good memories associated with her well-worn, orange Betty Crocker cookbook and the gray Mead notebook she still has that was once my great grandma Esther's.

This recipe is your run of the mill generic no bake cookie recipe.  There are no frills, nothing special or surprising.  But is the same recipe my grandmother makes every Christmas and the cookies my mom would finally concede to make for us when we begged for cookies in the middle of August in Arizona.  It's good, if for no other reason it reminds me of being 7, during Christmas and eating nothing but no bake cookies and bird's nest for dinner.


Short post, crappy pictures, sorry!  It's been an off week or so.  I hope to come back strong and with vengeance in the very near future.  As in this weekend.  With any luck, we'll have a guest chef in the kitchen too!  I'll get back with you soon.

 No Bake Cookies

½ c milk
½ c butter
2 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa
3 ½ c oatmeal
½ c peanut butter
Coconut (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
Vanilla (about a teaspoon or two)

Boil milk, butter and sugar on slow heat for one minute.  Remove from heat, stir in cocoa and peanut butter.

Mix in remaining ingredients.  Drop by the rounded tablespoon onto wax paper.  Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)