Monday, January 23, 2012

Cardamom Macaroons


I really did think that once I had finished this move, I would be able to dive right back into the cooking and the eating and the blogging.  But then my entire silverware drawer got left back in the grand city of Terre Haute, IN and I have no forks, no spoons, no knives of any kind, not even a hot pad to my name right now.  Until I bought a small box of plastic silverware, I was eating my breakfast oatmeal with a large plastic mixing spoon.  I am often the epitome of classy.  So, until my beloved silverware drawer (rolling pins included) arrives, we shall venture further into my cooking backlog, which due to recent events has become quite thin.  Too thin for my liking...

If you are like me you have been hearing the word cardamom being thrown around a lot more often lately and you have no idea what it tastes like or even smells like.  About the 12th time it came up in a recipe, I figured I had to bite the bullet and try it.  And then I realized that one little bottle costed on the high side of $13 at my local grocery store.  I'm cheap and we all know that wasn't going to happen.  Luckily , Whole Foods has a bulk section, including bulk spices.  For under $3 I got a few tablespoons worth, enough to try it out and play with the new taste.  This is a great recipe to try it out with, especially because you only need 1/8th of a teaspoon.  The coconut doesn't kill your taste buds and they are just a tad too sweet and the cardamom hits you and the first thought is "what the heck is that?"  Even now, I can't really point out what it taste likes, but I guess cardamom is what it tastes like.  It's different.  Citrusy? I still can't place it.  I'll have to make another batch and try to figure it out again.  Oh the things I do in the name of food...

So, until my silverware drawer returns to me, please be patient.  And if you have an extra one, maybe send me a cork screw?  Cause I miss mine... At least the wine made it through the move just fine!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BENJAMIN!!!  I <3 U!

Cardamom Macaroons
Cooking Light December 2011

This is going in the Big Green Cookbook.  It's different, but even without the cardamom (which we tried), these macaroons are fantastic.  These were really my first experience with the cookies, and they're simple to make and so yummy to eat!  And don't get made at me if you're dieting... they're straight from Cooking Light.   Just practice your only 2 cookies will power!  (I did reduce the sugar from 1/4 to 1/3 c.)

2 large egg whites, room temperature
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cardamom
1 1/2 c. flaked, sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 325.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

In very clean glass bowl, beat egg whites with a whisk.  Add all dry ingredients up to cardamom and whisk well, until egg white mixture is foamy.  Fold in coconut.

Using a tablespoon measure, spoon coconut mixture onto prepared baking sheet about an inch apart, packing/squishing gently to get them to stick together.  One batch will make 20-24 macaroons.  Bake at 325  until golden all over, about 22-24 minutes.  Cool in pan a few minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

If storing, store in air tight container at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)