Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cheesy, Slow Roasted Onions


I was so ready to love this recipe.  And to be honest, I've managed to talk myself into thinking maybe I actually did.  I blame the confusion on this sickness that I really just can't seem to kick out of my system.  Obviously my food loving sensory detectors are on the fritz if the rest of my body is feeling this crudy.  I should be doing nothing but watching movies on my couch, in my pjs, eating buckets of gooey, yummy, milk rice.

Yet, I'm at work each day, working out a few times afterwards, going grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning and doing laundry, and oh yeah, getting ready to move in a matter of days.  And then I made cheesy, slow roasted onions, wanting so desperately to love them like I thought I was meant to, and I just couldn't.

Which is a pity, because when you see how simple this recipe is, you can imagine how great it would be to love them.  To come home and even with a to-do list that is a mile long, still get these in the oven in less than 3 minutes.  I think the problem came from too much Meyer Lemon Olive Oil (a Homegoods purchase I am still so psyched about) and weird cheese.  Yes, mostly I blame the cheese.  Don't ask for reasons, because it makes sense in my clouded brain.  Next time around I'll stick to something a bit more normal, less adventurous, you know aged cheddar or something.  And yes there will be a next time, because I know deep in my bones that I was made to love cheesy, slow roasted onions.  We were meant to be.

I'm moving, again!!  I know, I haven't even unpacked all my boxes from the last move.  Ah well, there's not point now!  So, please be patient with me and the lack of creativity as we work through my cooking backlog and I get the rest of my stuff packed back into boxes... again.

Cheesy, Slow Roasted Onions
From November 2011's Cooking Light


2 medium sized onions
Olive Oil, preferably fruity
Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degree F.

Peel and quarter onion by cutting a cross from the top of each almost to the root.  Place in oven proof dish and drizzle lightly with olive oil ("A fruity olive oil is best if you have the choice").  Tent onions in foil.  Place in oven and roast for 45 minutes.

Remove onions from onion and discard oil.  Spoon some oil over the onions and return to oven, uncovered, until golden and soft, about 15 minutes more.

While roasting, slice some cheese thinly (recipe suggests cheddar, Gruyere, or Camembert).  Once onions are soft, top with cheese and return to oven until cheese is melted.   Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, Comments, Dreams, Aspirations? Or just want to say hi? I'd love to hear from you! (Getting a comment is like getting a card in the mail, it makes your day!)